Scrap-tastic!

13 Apr

I finally got the chance to hide out in my studio for an hour and have been daydreaming of things I can make out of my scraps. The bag that holds the large amount of scraps I own is busting out the seams and since I love all the fabric I have in there I refuse to let it go to waste! I decided for my first scrap project I was going to make a simple square wide pin cushion. Iย inheritedย a traditional small pin cushion like this:

It works WONDERS for the projects that I have been doing but once I started making an assembly line of products to sew I realized really quickly that it was way to tiny to hold the amount of needles this chick uses ๐Ÿ˜‰

So I decided to go with something more practical. Something with more surface around the top and less round to prevent the rolling that my old one does when I accidentally hit it in the process of throwing things! (Really just scrambling to find missing pieces lol)

Check it out:

Of course I chose polka-dots – gotta love them!

I’m so darn proud of my new pin cushion! Not to mention it’s going to hold triple the amount of pins my original one does ๐Ÿ˜€ You have no idea how much that excites me! Hooray for scraps – hooray for new sewing accessories ๐Ÿ˜€

What do you like to make with your fabric scraps?

6 Responses to “Scrap-tastic!”

1. Nicola April 14, 2012 at 4:43 am #

I love this pincushion Jen! :0) Also have trouble with roly poly pincushions, this is such a great idea! Thanks!! :0)

• underestimatedmom April 16, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Thank you so much! I hope it helps you ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know I am a much happier pinning person!

2. magpiesmiscellany April 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Oh, I knock those little suckers over all the time too! I love the shape and surface area of yours, the big problem for me is that some of the needles I use for dollmaking and denimwork are *long* so the flat guys don’t work so well either. I have a small one in a nantucket style basket base that is adorable. But it’s small, and still roundish. (Why oh why do they make most pincusions shapes that roll away from you?)

I horde scraps something awful. Most end up as quilts or dollclothes. I made decorative fan shaped bags out of different panels of scrap or seconded brocade. They’re a nice alternative to gift wraping a small present.

• underestimatedmom April 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Oh so true! I didn’t even think about that. I think it would be an easy fix though, When you are cutting the white piece that goes around the edges just make it taller! It’ll give it some more depth for you. I might have to do a trial myself just to see how it looks ๐Ÿ™‚

Those are some awesome ideas! It’s nice to know that I’m not the only scrap hoarder around here ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks for commenting!

• magpiesmiscellany April 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

That’s true. I was trying to figure how to make a reinforced bottom so I don’t stab through.

I’m sure you’re not, I think it goes with being a crafter!

• underestimatedmom April 17, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Hmm! You could put fabric stiffener or really thick fabric (like duffel bag material) and so it onto the back side if your bottom piece. It could still push through if you push hard enough but when you put the needles in you’d feel it hit that fabric and know not to push it further?

Maybe that would work!!