A Job Worth Doing

30 May

It’s come to my realization that many of you out there hate your job, so much so that you dread waking up in the morning knowing that you have to go do it.

NEWS FLASH!

You don’t have to hate your job. In fact, you don’t have to do that job at all!

Now before you go rolling your eyes at me, let’s think this one through. The reason most people work is to consume enough money to live our lives in which we think are appealing or at the very least going to bring dinner on the table. I had that job. I hated that job. I spent countless hours complaining about it, making my husband miserable about, and ruining the life I always wanted because I was so upset with the job.

My husband and I sat down and took a look at our finances and compared how much I made to how much I spent at that job.

• I was making X a month.
  • Spending A on gas to get there and back each month.
  • Spending B on food for lunch each month.
  • Spending C on easier meals to cook at home (premade things) because I was too lazy to do them when I got home each month.
  • This does not include D on bills that were created from me having to work (ex. daycare, fixing the car, doctors appointments for stress & anxiety)

X-A-B-C equaled a whopping 100 bucks a month. I was in complete shock. I was spending almost my entire monthly paycheck just for work and I hated my job!! I looked at my life and how I was living it. My job was not worth working $100 a month – I can’t even picture what job would be worth that little.

Then I sat down and thought about all the things I love to do.

• I love spending time with my daughter.
  • I love taking care of children. (Possible Income)
  • I love organizing things. (Possible Income)
  • I love to write and take pictures. (Possible Income)
  • I love finding great deals on things. (Helps budget money for other things)
  • I’m not the best at cooking, but I like trying. (Not an income but also can be a money saver instead of going out to eat)
  • I like being crafty and making things. (Possible Income)
My husband and I talked about which of the items above that posed as a possible income would be something that our family could handle. I chose taking care of children because out of all those things the start up cost was almost nothing and it was my favorite one. I work PART TIME Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8-5 and I’m making exactly what I made at my previous job. Out of all that income I don’t spend any money on gas, lunches out, easier meals at home, daycare, extra car expensive, doctors appointments, fancy clothes for work, heck – I hardly buy make up anymore!!
Because I made the decision to stop doing what I hated, and find a way to do what I love – I now make three times as much as I did at my other job. I also have time to spend with my daughter, organize, write, take pictures, find great deals, attempt at cooking, and make crafty things. I even get to sell the crafty things I make to have EVEN more income!

I will say that this wasn’t easy. We had a month where we had to make ends meet and live with the little income we did have. It taught us how to better manage our money, what we really needed as opposed to what we wanted, and made us more thankful when we did have more money. It may seem impossible but it’s not – you can do what you love and still live the life you always wanted.

*Thank you google images for the pictures

10 Responses to “A Job Worth Doing”

1. Mechelle May 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Your post was vert thought provoking. Thanks for sharing your experience!

• underestimatedmom May 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

I’m glad you liked it! I hope it helps in some small way 🙂

2. Hannah May 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

This sounds very sensible. I would work less if I did not have a big mortgage which I am paying half of.

• underestimatedmom May 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

It’s not about not being able to because of bills- it’s prioritizing and figuring out a way to make the same income doing something you love instead! ❤ That way your bills are still paid AND you are much happier!

3. elsielight May 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

That is great that you found a solution to the problem of continuing at a job you hated. When I worked I enjoyed it most the time – the part I don’t miss is having to be there every day at the same time – with too little time for a true vacation. Time off was always spent fulfilling obligations. You are a success story!!

• underestimatedmom May 30, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

Thank you! Yes – time constraints are always a pain. That’s something I don’t miss either 😉 Everyone deserves a little time off!

4. sammysgrammy May 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

My sentiments exactly….Good for you.

5. AnnMarie May 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Love this post! My husband wanted me home for my son so I haven’t worked in 13 years and loving it. We adjusted our lifestyle accordingly and anyone can do it. Now that I have 2 Etsy shops I am doing what I love and hopefully someday the shops will make enough money so I can contribute to the household.

• underestimatedmom May 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Glad you love it 😀 I wish I could scream that IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ANYONE TO DO! But not everyone will understand until they actually try. I’m glad it worked out wonderfully for you and I hope you do get what you are looking for out of Etsy 🙂 Doing something you love & that feeling of accomplishment from contributing to the household is a feeling I’ll never be able to explain to the fullest!