Addiction: Blogging vs. Living

15 Jun

What happens to an addicted blogger decides to live without technology for a period of time? (Note I still had my phone – I just limited my time on it)

• The first few hours you are having mini anxiety attacks wondering if you are going to make it and you might even log back in just to see if everything’s okay.
  • The first day you spend twitching wondering if you have any views or your followers are mad because you haven’t posted but then say “oh yeah it’s only be 24 hours they probably don’t care”.
  • The second day you are seriously questioning your decision to stay off it and think all of your followers are going to hate you, leave, never come back, unsubscribe, and shake their head thinking “another one bites the dust”.
  • The third day you wake up wanting to just check it once – that’s it, then you’ll be okay for the rest of the day you promise.
  • The fourth day you get an email from a blog on your phone that you are subscribed to and shake your head wishing you were as awesome and dedicated as they were.
  • The fifth day you swear you won’t look at your blog or even open your iphone app!! (which at that point wasn’t a problem for me because it kept crashing grrrr)
  • The next few days you find things to keep you busy like reading an actual book instead of your PC downloaded Nook or other blogs or spending some quality time outside!
  • The last few days you are sitting around thinking, wow I should totally write a blog post about this and take a picture so they can all see!!!
  • The very last day you are overflowing with things you want to blog about, don’t know what to start with, and if you weren’t going to be made fun of you’d jump up and down with glee that you’ve made it this long and will be back to blogging in no time!!!!!
  • The last few hours, you are sitting next to the computer, staring at it beating yourself up about the fact that all you want to do is LOG ON RIGHT NOW!
  • The last ten minutes, you have up until now kept yourself busy with mindless miscellaneous tasks around the house and you are seriously at your breaking point with excitement and anticipation.
  • The moment you log on – it’s like a breath of fresh air. YOU ARE BACK BABY!!
  • After you write and submit your post you click on your view stats every minute to see if your followers are going to come back or hate you forever!
Thanks for coming back 😉

17 Responses to “Addiction: Blogging vs. Living”

1. Holly Michael June 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Funny stuff! Glad your back! I was forced into a week off due to travel…I can relate!

• underestimatedmom June 15, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Haha! YAY! I’m so happy to be back and I’m glad you are back too ❤ Ahhh it feels so great – but I did get a lot of relaxing and getting things prioritized & organized 😉 It was very much needed over here. I needed to get back on track over here!

• Kim June 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

I totally do this with my Facebook page all the time!

• underestimatedmom June 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

I don’t know what is so darn addicting about it but it was such a struggle to not go on just to check it!!

2. Organized Living Essentials June 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Aha! I have a kindred spirit. I noticed you had left the blog community for awhile. I missed your posts! However, it is a good idea to check out of being wired occasionally. I have committed to posting just once a week while I have other responsibilities. But I love checking out all of the other amazing blogs and the tech is so much a part of my day job. Oh well.. what can you do?

• underestimatedmom June 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Well it feels great to be missed 😉 It is so incredibly hard to not use technology. I narrowed it down to my phone and only gave myself two hours during the day I could use it (minus phone calls and text messages). I love reading other blogs too – that was a tough thing to give up but it was also nice to actually hold a real book in my hand!! It’s almost amazing how refreshed and rejuvenated you feel after a good break 😀 I’m am back with a vengeance and have a list of topics just waiting to happen!

3. Patch June 17, 2012 at 7:52 am #

Lol! So funny. I wondered where you were. Sounds like I would be exactly the same. I haven’t blogged so much recently but still keep checking everything. Just working through my inbox now getting up to date again!

• underestimatedmom June 17, 2012 at 10:06 am #

It’s hard to stay away from it all but sometimes a little break is all you need 🙂 Can’t wait to see what you post next!

4. Tina June 19, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Something gives me the feeling you’re addicted to blogging/internet. Can’t quite put my finger on what it is that gives me that impression though. 🙂 No, in all honesty, I think shutting off technology and going offline for a period of time is both healthy and important for us in day and age when we’re so connected 24/7. I have a friend who regularly takes “time off” from the internet/blogging to just enjoy REAL life, spend time with her kids, sit in the sun and read a book etc. It’s healthy!

• underestimatedmom June 19, 2012 at 7:25 am #

I agree! It feels really great to take a break every now and then 🙂 but I’m also so glad to be back!

5. Lloyd's of Rochester June 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

I can so relate…but mine was accidental / Divinely ordained / unplanned. In the end, it was a good thing. Now, how can I maintain balance?

• underestimatedmom July 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Just keep writing! ❤ Don't look at it like you should have or feel guilty for not writing. Life happens 😉 We all take a step back to figure out what really is important to us and get back on track to living.

• Lloyd's of Rochester July 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Well, I feel guilty when I write too often (instead of doing things that are necessary)! Not writing is more like damming up a stream and the ideas pursue me like unhappy wasps, stinging me to write them down! It’s an almost visceral feeling. Yet I write for myself, not for any particular audience. I’m one addicted writer, I guess, and blogging is my preferred platform because of it’s nature. So I guess I am trying to achieve “balance.” Any practical suggestions?

• underestimatedmom July 2, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

I definitely have periods in my time like this. To create a good balance I limit my time in which I allow myself to be on the computer. Lately it’s an hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, and an hour at night. It seems like a lot but sometimes I feel like I don’t get as much as I wish done! As for remembering what you want to write about – I keep a notepad or paper with me where ever I go. When I come with what I want to write about, I put the topic on the piece of paper. Then when it’s my scheduled time to write, I’ll write two or three posts and schedule them to publish on different days! Hope this helps 🙂

• Lloyd's of Rochester July 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Great suggestions. I have been thinking that I need to carry a dedicated notebook to capture thoughts/ideas, and the idea of scheduling specific writing time is something I absolutely need to practice! And trying to make the most of my time has seriously had me looking into learning the DVORAK keyboard just so I can get my words down faster, although I don’t know how that would work on a laptop… I have also considered the “write in clusters, post in pieces” and I think that would be my best approach so I don’t overwhelm readers. Seriously, thanks for your ideas and encouragement.

• underestimatedmom July 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

I’m so glad I could help!