A Wow Moment – Pillow and All.

15 Aug

On my to do list the past Saturday I had:

Make a pillow out of my new favorite material!

and last Saturday – I did just that! So I thought I’d share with you all exactly how I did it. Now you’ll notice in this preview that I didn’t have the right size zipper so I just used a small one. When it came time to put the pillow in the case I bought cried! It took a lot of shoving, a little biting my tongue, and a lot of UGHHHHH’s.

I  cut the fabric 14×14. Even though this pillow is a 10×10 you have to account for the depth of the pillow as well as the amount you’ll be taking off when sewing it. I always leave myself a good half inch for sewing.

Now for all you “know how to sew pillows or zippers in general people” I know this isn’t the best way to sew a zipper.. now. After a long discussion with my mom on how she sews zippers I will be trying this differently. So what I did is I folded the two edges over a half an inch or less, pinned the zipper, and stitched it.

Note to self: I am either sticking to pocket pillows (which I’m good at) or attempting this again with the right length zipper and the right way to sew it!

Okay! Then I laid it inside out so both of the outer pieces were facing each other, pinned, and stitched all the way around.

I flipped it inside out and attempted to shove that huge pillow in a 6 inch zipper opening 😛 I wish I had taken pictures during the process but I was too busy UGHHHHing to stop and take a picture 😉

and TADA! Here’s the finished pillow which if I do say so myself turned out pretty spanking awesome except for the bottom zipper which we won’t ever speak of again 😀

What do you think?

10 Responses to “A Wow Moment – Pillow and All.”

1. chicenvelopements August 15, 2012 at 8:31 am #

I love the pillow! I have this same fabric in turquoise and it’s been on my To Do list to make a pillow for my front porch chair. You obviously have good taste 😉
    Beth

• underestimatedmom August 15, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Oh so cool!! I can’t wait to see yours – I love turquoise! I found this fabric in the remnant bin but I have a feeling I’ll be going back to find more because I love how durable and thick it is – plus the pattern is pretty gorgeous 😉

• chicenvelopements August 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I love the birds!

• underestimatedmom August 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Me too! It reminds me of my grandmother. As soon as I saw the fabric I knew I had to have it 🙂

2. Mary Ann August 15, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Very nice pillow…..I like!!

3. Kristi @ PeetSwea August 16, 2012 at 7:09 am #

Beautiful! The fabric is gorgeous. Looks like finished product is well worth all the effort!

p.s. I HATE zippers!

• underestimatedmom August 16, 2012 at 7:23 am #

I’m seriously giving the zippers one more shot and then I’m done with them!! Luckily I have enough fabric I think I can make two more of those pillows!!

4. Tina August 20, 2012 at 2:09 am #

That turned out really nice!