Get It Together Girl!

26 Sep

Sorry for the late post this morning – I’ve been trying to get it together over here 😉 Since I’m waiting for my studio organizers to come in I decided to get to work on my desk. It seriously needed some TLC!!

This desk was being used for pile things instead of actually work on. I can’t tell you how many time’s I’ve had to organize this desk because it’s become a dumping station. I decided I need to create enough space in the drawers to keep things off the desk so it doesn’t pile up anymore.

The first step was to clean out these messy drawers. We had a ton of stuff in here that was just taking up precious space – including a bunch of things that didn’t necessarily have anything to do with desk work. Surprisingly I had a ton of crafting related things in this desk that I gladly took to the studio room. It doesn’t belong in here and definitely wasn’t getting used being in this desk.

After I got the drawers all cleaned out, I was able to decide what I wanted for my desk.

1. A place to keep and organize my coupons.

2. A place to keep and organize my receipts for taxes.

3. A place for paying my bills and desk supplies.

4. A place to write cards (thank yous, invites, and such).

5. A place to file my paperwork (which was already there).

6. A place for the books I’m working on and reviewing.

7. A place for my notebooks and organizing tools.

Some things just can’t fit in the desk very well so the last two items got cute boxes to be used to store them.

After two hours – taking loads to the studio, thrift store pile, and trash – this desk was finished!! I even hung up a hanging folder to put my “need to be filed” items up so they don’t pile on my desk. The gray container holds the books I’m working on and reviewing. The tan container holds my organizing notebooks and tools – including my pens, pencils, and scissors!

In my drawers I made room for my coupon notebook, my tax/receipts notebook, my bill supplies & desk tools, my notecards, thank you’s, and invites. The bottom drawer stayed the same with my files.

In order to keep this desk from getting back to being a dumping ground, every night I’ll be cleaning it up so in the morning it’s ready for some work to get accomplished!

What do you think?

8 Responses to “Get It Together Girl!”

1. endofmom September 26, 2012 at 10:09 am #

I think I need you over at my house, I have a few areas that could use your organizing LOL!

• underestimatedmom September 26, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I love organizing people’s places!! It’s way more fun than my own place 😉

2. Cul de Sac September 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Lookin’ awesome! Some places in the house seem to be an ongoing cleaning process… Don’t you think so? Like me sewing room and the kitchen island…

• underestimatedmom September 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I agree. I try to keep as many spots as I can ongoingly clean 😉 haha. It seems like when I dedicate a few minutes each day to keeping certain areas clean it works much better than waiting until later to clean it!!

• Cul de Sac September 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

I know… I should be doing that lol!

• underestimatedmom September 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

It’s tough to start that routine but I’ve done it with each room in the house as well as laundry. I do one load a day. Throw it in the wash in the morning, an hour later switch it to the dryer, then my next break during they day, I take it out, fold it, put it away. I end up doing three loads a week because the loads are smaller and if you keep up with it – there’s no piles. It makes putting it away easier to. Smaller loads – smaller hassle! After I figured that out – I applied it to the problem areas around here.. it obviously skipped over my desk!

3. azurachan September 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm #