Old Jeans into Skinny Jeans!

4 Dec

Welcome to my pile of jeans that need a little TLC! They may have gotten into this pile for various reasons – they don’t fit, they aren’t in style anymore, they got taken in to get hemmed and the lady made them too short and they are now high waters (frustrated voice there), or I haven’t worn them in a few years.

003

Why did I hang onto them? Honestly – because I don’t know how to get rid of things and thought I could make SOMETHING out of it one day..

016

Welcome to that day! My sister sent me a pin from pinterest about how this girl made her not so cool jeans into skinny jeans. It took me about two seconds to try on all of the jeans that were in my “I don’t know what the heck to do with these” pile 🙂

018

Then the magic happened! First I put them on inside out, pulled the sides tight and pinned them so that they would be form fitting. If you’d rather not pin yourself in your jeans you can try using chalk to mark the line.

019

Then I took them off and ran them through the sewing machine. Be sure that you have a thick needle for this (mine is an 8 for jeans) or your sewing machine is going to take a toll and you might bend or break your needle.

020

Before you do anything else, be sure to flip them right side out and try them on. It’s going to feel weird having that extra flap of fabric but this is the only way that you’ll know if it fits you right before you finish them off and can’t undo it!

022

If it’s not how you wanted, rip out the seams and try again! If it is take really nice sharp scissors and cut along the link of your seam without hitting your stitching.

Then you can iron the edges down or let it wash and dry into shape. I like to wear mine around and break them in for the day 😉

001

What do you think? Actually – it’s probably best you don’t tell me what you think – because after doing this whole thing I realized I hate the way I look in skinny jeans.. oh well!

11 Responses to “Old Jeans into Skinny Jeans!”

1. Hannah Ackroyd December 4, 2012 at 8:12 am #

This is a brilliant idea! I definitely need to remember this one for the future!

• underestimatedmom December 4, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Glad you liked it! I have about four more pairs of jeans I’ll be doing this too 😀

2. Stacia December 4, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I don’t even know what an 8 needle is! Impressive!

• underestimatedmom December 4, 2012 at 9:50 am #

It’s just a really thick needle instead of the traditional needles. It makes going through thick layers a breeze!

3. Cul de Sac December 4, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

But you look awesome!!! I don’t look great in skinnies because my hips are way too wide for that kind of look, but you don’t! Maybe just try with a shirt on a tunic?

• underestimatedmom December 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

That’s a great idea! I think they make my hips look wide and since I’m short I think it makes me look even shorter, I don’t need help showing off my lack of height 😉

• Cul de Sac December 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Yeah, but if you wear it with something looser fitting around the hips, the skinny lesg will make you look taller… I think?!

• underestimatedmom December 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

I’ll have to try that out and let you know!

• Cul de Sac December 4, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Cool!

4. chicenvelopements December 4, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

You look great in the skinny jeans!!!

• underestimatedmom December 4, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

Thanks! 🙂 Everyone’s making me not feel so self conscious about them!