I can just hear my mom’s voice in my head. “You can’t take care of everyone else if you aren’t taking care of yourself.” She’s a genius.
When your life is full of a list of things to do for everyone else, you tend to forget what you need. Last year I realized I was balancing too much and if I kept going at the rate I was, I was going to break. As much as that would hurt me, I was more worried about my family. Two little girls are dependent on me, and my husband – although he could do it on his own, he deserves someone who is there.
This year I made some major changes in my life. I hired help to get me through the work and dedicated that time back to my family. We are spending more time together and focusing on what’s really important in our lives. Each other.
This is not an easy thing to do so I gathered up some things to help you remind yourself how to get back to what’s really important in your life.
1. Find a schedule that works for you, not against you.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
3. Learn to say no graciously. It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.
4. Don’t compare yourself to others. It’s fine to have a role model to look up to, but don’t beat yourself up trying to be them.
5. Worrying only takes up precious time. We can’t control everything, and we shouldn’t.
6. Enjoy the small moments and victories.
After all, these moments won’t last forever!
What do you do to refocus and take care of you?